Friday, June 20, 2014

Biking for mental health

Difficult subject this.

I'd noticed that I was feeling very happy while I was riding my bike, and for some time afterwards. And then I noticed that generally I was feeling better most of the time.

Which made me think - is biking a way to improve mental health? perhaps even more than exercise in general?

To Google!

Why, yes it is.

There are lots of articles discussing this phenomenon like this one from NYC Bike Commuter.

There are a lot of theories about this, the concentration, the extra sunlight, etc.

But to some extent, who cares why? it just works.

Depression is soul-destroying and dangerous and makes me a person I don't want to be. It's hard on the inside and it's hard keeping it on the inside and it's hard on the people closest to me.

The bike is making things better and better. And the more I do on the bike, the better it is.

Commuting on the bike is great, I'm doing it every day I can and actively increasing the number of days. The weather is not a concern - there's gear for that. Every day I ride the bike to work is a minimum of 20 minutes free exercise and extra well-being.

Getting out at the weekend - to a park or trail - is even better.

I know recent converts to anything (non-smoking, religion, whatever) can be a pain, but really, really, if you've got a bike - use it more. If you don't have a bike, then buy a cheap one and just try it.



No comments:

Post a Comment